Stembolt is an ecommerce consultancy with a head office in Victoria, BC, Canada. We have a team of 30+ employees across Canada, Germany and New Zealand. We’re the creators of the Solidus ecommerce platform (solidus.io) and use it to build and maintain some big name storefronts. Collectively we speak more than five languages and own at least seven dogs (some of which are frequent visitors to the office).
Stembolt is expanding our design department and looking to hire a designer or two to meet our growing needs. We offer a relaxed, flexible tech culture and a great opportunity to get in at ground level and help shape the role design plays at the company.
Stembolt is an agile company, and your understanding of an iterative software development practice is part of what makes you a great fit for this job. We’re looking for a web designer with both UX and visual design skills. We’re not concerned with your past job titles, just the experience you gained on the job and how quickly you can learn something new and then apply it in real life.
About the position
Our designers work directly with clients and developers to develop brand-compliant, user-centric design, and web-ready assets. You’ll be a part of the entire project lifecycle including research, wireframing, and visual design phases for new features and new ecommerce sites. The majority of your design work will be websites, but you’ll also be expected to jump in and help with other internal visual design projects as they pop up.
You’re a self-motivated learner, practice failing quicker, and are both confident and humble when it comes to giving and receiving feedback. You can go beyond design and participate in sprint sessions and brainstorm ideas within a larger team.
Your visual designs meet project goals, are polished, and you can articulate the reasons for your design decisions. You understand and can balance user and business goals with technical limitations to satisfy all stakeholders. Above all, communication skills, a great personality, and a passion for quality work are a must.
- 3+ years of experience designing digital products for web and mobile
- Experience with industry standard software
- Experience practicing user-centered design
- Strong understanding of layout, iconography, typography and information architecture
- An up-to-date understanding of best practices, tools, and trends in web and mobile web design
- Knowledge of html and css, and the technical limitations of implementing your designs (you won’t be required to code)
- Strong organizational skills
While not required, please mention if any of the following sound like you:
- Ability to prototype ideas in code or using tools like InVision or Framer
- Experience in motion design, ecommerce, working for big brands or public speaking
- Knowledge of Solidus or other ecommerce platforms
At Stembolt, we recognize that it’s easier to do good work when you’re feeling at your best. All of Stembolt’s full-time, permanent employees benefit from the following:
- Competitive salary
- Job relocation assistance
- 35 hour work week
- Flexible work time and location
- Health and dental benefits
- Ergonomic workspace and whatever tools you need to get the job done
- Office games and the camaraderie to go with it
- Show and tell Fridays where we share our weekly learnings with each other
How to apply
Send us a link to your online portfolio or a few samples of your work: website links, wireframes, UX flows, or whatever represents what you do best. We’ll also want to take a look at your resume and cover letter to see how much you really want the job.
We know that experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.